Millennials often get bad press from popular culture, but there’s more to this generation than meets the eye. Believe it or not, millennials are generally good financial planners. They show good financial discipline, defying stereotypes that their generation is prone to spending and impulse buying. Now adults, they are learning how to manage their money as well as learning how to flex their independence in their buying choices.
Shopping in Manila for Millennials
Channel the independence of the modern Filipino millennial with these great shopping finds, all here at Manila’s easy-access malls.
- Sports, Unlimited: With the exception of family, millennials value health the most. Wellness is a daily, active pursuit for millennials. They’re eating healthier meals, and have been frequenting the gym. Successful companies like Decathlon recognize this millennial trend towards health, and are catering their product line-up to answer the demands of this market. One of the biggest sports retailers has opened a branch at Tiendesitas, filled with different sporting gear and apparel used in over 70 sports. Aiming to make sports accessible for many, Decathlon offers a free membership, with perks such as an extended two-year warranty on goods and more.
Decathlon is located at the Second Floor of Tiendesitas.
- Sustainable Beauty: The interest on skincare and beauty products has steadily been on the rise, and it is heartening to see that millennials are also advocating for brands that speak out about important humanitarian and environmental concerns. Lush, for example, has been vocal about fighting against animal testing, and only test on human volunteers. L’Occitane has built long-term partnerships with producers and prioritize short, local integrated channels when sourcing key ingredients for their products.
Lush is located at the Second Floor, North Wing of Estancia Mall.
L’Occitane is located at the Ground Floor, South Wing of Estancia Mall.
- Experience Investors: Millennials invest on experiences, which is why the demand for travel remains strong as consumer prices are on the rise. Shopping in Manila has become a tourist attraction in its own right, with over two hundred malls to be found across the Metro. If you’re preparing for future travels, Ortigas Malls has tons of shops that cater to different travel essential needs! Here’s a list to get you started.
- Adventure Seekers: With the advent of technology being improved everyday, millennials are finding new thrill sources. Dubbed as the first new sport of the 21st century, drone racing has attracted many fans and players across the nation. This extreme sport has found a home in The Bike Playground at Industria, delivering an adrenaline rush like no other.
- Love Local: Millennials have been some of the advocates of supporting local industries. As a generally well-travelled generation, they are more aware that the Filipino culture in itself can be a tourist attraction. Tiendesitas showcases locally-made furniture, handicrafts, antiques, and native delicacies from traders all around the Philippines. Its lower level is also a specialty area for animal lovers, with pet shops, accessory stores, and grooming salons.
Millennials expect more from the companies and brands than older generations, and it is the brands’ responsibility to change harmful practices into a culture that cares about their consumers. This belief in a company’s responsibilities to the planet, its employees, and its customers, is a newer expectation that is important for millennials. Ortigas Malls has been perfecting the art of life, work, and leisure by conceptualizing and building master-planned developments that have become thriving communities over time—paradigms of excellence in the Philippine real estate landscape. Together, Ortigas Malls grows with its ever-changing market, catering to the needs and demands of a market that is a major economic force for many years to come.
Ortigas Malls is part of Ortigas & Company, one of the pioneers in the Philippine real estate landscape. To learn more about shopping in Manila, feel free to read more at the Ortigas Malls website.